Tuesday 1 February 2011

Evaluation Q1.

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Teaser Trailer
Conventions of a teaser trailer:-
- Fast pace editing
- Title slates / voice over
- No dialogue
- Release date / coming soon
- Wide shot / establishing shot
- Duration time > no longer than 1.30

Teaser trailers are used to create “hype” and suspense for new up coming films. Because of this there are usually 3 main sections to traditional teaser trailers, these include:- 1. establish location & introduce main character 2. introduce new characters and some sort adventure 3. crisis and ends on a cliff hanger. As I wanted to make my teaser trailer look and appear like a real one I decided to follow this structure.







I began with a pan shot of a graveyard, this was to establish the setting and also tell the audience the genre of the film straight away. This is a common convention of teaser trailers as usually from the first 10seconds(ish) the audience can usually tell the genre through its shots, setting and music.
I also used eerie music that goes well with the setting and genre really well.
Another common convention for horror films is the young girl in white dress I decided to use this convention as it will confirm the audiences knowledge of the genre, I also think that it is a convention that is so common in horror films that have a young girl in it and I think the convention very well with the treatment.
I also used all young characters this was to appeal more to my audience so that they could connect more with the characters.
I used lots of conventions for horror teaser trailers as I filmed all of my scenes during the day, this was due to time and equipment restrictions, so I decided to use all of the conventions of horror films so that it was clear to the audience that it was a horror film even though it was shot during the day which challenges the conventions of most horror films.

I tried to make my teaser trailer seem more realistic by using an actress with blue eyes, this challenges the common conventions of horror films as they mostly have actresses with dark eyes of they make them bloodshot to appear more scary.

Poster
Conventions of a film poster:-
- Institution information
- Release date
- Tagline
- Certificate (some posters)
- Shocking / eye catching
- Image of main character(s)

I tried to mimic the conventions of “The Grudge” poster as it is a very eye-catching poster and also very memorable, which is what I want for my poster.



Magazine Cover
Conventions of a magazine cover :-
- Masthead
- Puff
- Date/price
- Barcode
- Main cover line/story
- Cover stories.



I tried to mimic the conventions of “Empire Magazine” as it is a well established magazine.
I tried to use most of the common conventions of a magazine cover, to appeal to a large audience, regardless of my film being independent I want it to appeal to as large audience as possible.

Overall I think I both used and challenged the usual conventions of media.

No comments:

Post a Comment